Ubuntu 19.10 was released on October 17th, which means it's time to upgrade Ubuntu on my Dell XPS laptop. Please note this is NOT a long-term support (LTS) release, so 19.10 will only be supported until July 2020.
Ubuntu 19.10 – Eoan Ermine
Seems like a pretty solid upgrade:
- WPA3 support for improved wireless security – need to check if I can upgrade my Ubiquiti equipment to support it
- Linux Kernel upgraded to 5.3 – this is where I expect majority of improvements for my laptop
- Dark Theme – in a very short space of just a few months I'm now using dark themes on my iPhone, desktop and laptop, plus in as many apps as support it properly
- Ubuntu 19.10 is available for Raspberry Pi 4
- lots of visual improvements in each of the Ubuntu editions – Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE
Download Ubuntu 19.10
As always, the best place to start with Ubuntu download is http://releases.ubuntu.com/19.10/
Upgrading to Ubuntu 19.10
I did the usual sequence to get my laptop upgraded. Except the last step which needed the -d option to recognise that Ubuntu 19.10 is available. All of these commands were run through sudo.
- apt update
- apt upgrade
- apt dist-upgrade
- do-release-upgrade -d
Do you use Ubuntu? When are you planning to upgrade?