I'm hardly getting any chance to work on Sun/Oracle hardware and Solaris anymore, but still like tracking the releases. OpenIndiana is a free Solaris implementation based on the Illumos project, and OpenIndiana 2019.10 just got released.
Improvements in OpenIndiana 2019.10
- Latest improvements from the Illumos project (namely illumos-gate)
- Lots of documentation updated and moved from old wiki to https://docs.openindiana.org
- Python dependent tools (including IPS) upgraded to support Python 3
- IPS ships Python 3.5 tools and libraries
- Bash updated; sudo updated; vim updated – these are like my top 3 commands! 🙂
- Development toolchain is refreshed
- Server software packages updated
- nginx 1.16.1
- BIND 9.14
- Samba 4.11 (plus lots of improvements for SMBv3 from Illumos)
More information can be found here: OpenIndiana 2019.10 Release Notes.
Installing OpenIndiana 2019.10
This section is a placeholder: I plan on downloading OpenIndiana ISO image and installing it inside a virtual machine.
Will update this post with links to the OpenIndiana install notes and first screenshots shortly.
- Solaris Blog – one of my older projects. Still lots of useful info on Solaris
- OpenIndiana Project
- Solaris OS
- Solaris devices tutorial
- How To confirm Solaris 11 version
- Solaris @ Unix Tutorial
- See future timestamps in Solaris
- Find release version in Unix/Linux
- Mount ISO image in Solaris
- Process tree in Solaris